So, I had an awesome time in Atlanta, and now I’m home, hot cup of coffee beside me, computer in my lap, and I know it’s time.
It’s time to figure out what I took away from it all.
And put it to work.
So, besides the joy of having an epiphany about my work in progress while Elizabeth Boyle taught me about hooks, the awe of having Liliana Hart share her knowledge of self-publishing with me (and a couple hundred other people), the pure thrill of being in the same room with Jayne Ann Krentz and Susan Elizabeth Phillips (two of my idols) and hearing their “secrets”, and a bag full of awesome romance novels, what great wisdom did I take away from RWA?
Here we go:
1. I’ve known this for a long time, but I heard it over and over at RWA this year: Other writers are not your competition. They’re your support group.
2. Carry a notebook with you. Epiphany may strike at any time, and you want to be able to write it down.
3. I CAN give my books away! No really, I worried about this. I was one of the authors at the Indie book signing and I was so afraid I’d brought too many books. But I gave most of them away there and a few later on, and really only came home with a handful of my own books leftover. So, yay! Here’s to more readers!
4. Meeting people in person is so much more thrilling than tweeting with them! I met my multi-talented editor Kristin Anders (The Romantic Editor) in person and was blown away.
5. On the flip side, once you meet an author in person, it’s fun to find them on Twitter. I did this with Suzanne Ferrell (one of the Romance Bandits), who I shared a signing table with at the indie signing. She was so much fun sitting next to, I didn’t want to lose that connection.
To sum up, it was a fun, productive several days and though I don’t want to return to the real world, I know I have no other choice. Besides, next year, RWA is in San Antonio. I do love San Antonio!
Hey Michele! I’m glad to see I’m not the only one whose head is feels like it’s going to explode from all the information we got at #RWA13 this year! It was a pleasure to share a table at the signing with you, too!
Thanks for including me in your RWA highlights! I’m flattered and so thrilled to have blown you away. You were wonderful to talk with.